Friday, July 3, 2009

Pre Race Thoughts - 3 Jul 09


Well it’s July the 3rd Friday morning I’m sitting in Gatlinburg just being lazy today waiting to go shopping this afternoon then go run in the race tonight. It’s weird I know I have no chance to even place in my age group, but I’m nervous my stomach is a mess this morning. I don’t know if it’s because there are suppose to be more than a thousand runners there or what. The crowd does have me nervous when I look at pictures of the past races I can’t help but think how in the world will that big blog of people keep me from tripping over each other and that is a concern, will I get tripped? I just need stop and remember where I was at 7 months ago and be proud of where I am today and remember I’m not running to beat anyone else, but running to live a healthier fuller life. You know just putting my thoughts down now has helped. Sometimes I want to keep them inside and not share them because, what if things don’t work out the way I want, then I guess I’m afraid I’ll feel disappointed. It does help to process them I guess, so here goes my original intent of doing this race. Make the highlight of my vacation something other than how much food could I eat. I choose this one to get the feel of a large crowd at a race so when I do run that Marathon I will have experienced the larger race hoopla. I can’t help but want a new PR, but I’ve got to tell my self that doesn’t matter I’ll just run the race as it unfolds and fall back on my original two goals for this race and enjoy…..we’ll I’m out of here off to enjoy the day….doing this today not tomorrow!

3 comments:

Cuban Pete said...

Hi Barry,

As someone who has lost 63 pounds since January, I know exactly what you're going through. Reading through your blog has inspired me to keep going; to keep pushing despite the setbacks and the all-too-easy successes. One step at a time will get you where you need to go.

Best wishes!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Your website is really inspiring. I just can't seem to get going with my weight loss journey.
thanks for sharing!!

Barry said...

Thanks Pete hey man you are doing great too....keep up the good (hard) work....for the other poster you can do it, just tell youself you can and take it one step at a time....do it today not tomorrow!