Friday, June 12, 2009

Discipline - 12 Jun 09

I had to be at work Early on Thursday so I was up and on my way to run before 5.

I do get to see some beautiful sunrises in the morning.

Saturday after the 5K I was talking to Jenny and Sumer and I was thanking them for getting up early and coming with me to the race. They said we didn’t do anything but get up early, they said you did the running. I know how Jenny loves to sleep late and Summer had been up late the night before so it did take something for them to get up and get out of bed. Honestly it did for me too. That got me to thinking about the discipline it has taken me to get this far and the discipline it will take to get to that marathon. I read somewhere something that went like this…. anybody can dream and set a goal, but it takes someone special to have the discipline to take the steps to achieve that goal or dream. As I thought more about it you know it really comes down to the discipline in the small things. Like with my weight loss the discipline to not eat those hot butter rolls when I was eating with the family at the restaurant, the discipline to not get a desert when they did, the discipline to not eat something fried to have something grilled, the discipline to not miss a day walking. I did that for 143 days, but you know it was one day at a time and it added up to 143 days. That is the way all those little decisions of discipline added up to 105 pounds lost in 6 months. Now that I’m doing more running it’s having the discipline to get up early at 5 and get my runs in before it gets hot, the discipline to add more “right calories” to get more fuel to be able to run longer. There are so many decisions so many areas where it’s all about the discipline. It’s not about losing the 105 pounds or being able to run 26.2 miles it’s about living each moment and having the discipline to do what is right and not just wishing you could do it or dreaming about it, but doing it today and not tomorrow, it’s in us we just have to reach inside and pull it out.

No comments: