Sunday, September 27, 2009

Unplanned 5K




There was a 5K in Winfield Al on Saturday the 26th of Sep. I had planned to not run it as my intent was to focus on my long distance training since I’m going to try and do the half in October and the full in December. I woke up Saturday and I was like I should go run this race, then I thought well it will mess my training up then I remember that on the schedule it suggested that I do 5K on Sunday then add three extra miles for a total of 6.1, Saturdays run was also 6 miles I decided to flip the days and get the 5K in. It was a good race I ran a 26:19 for an 8:30 pace, not a PR, but a good race and the last.7 was up a pretty good hill and it rained a little before and during the race. I was happy with the race there were two guys who passed me around the 2 mile mark and I got both of them on the hill, one tried to catch up in the last .2, but I held him off it was fun “racing” I was nowhere near placing in my age group there were some fast older guys and they did the awards in 10 year increments. After the race I drove to Hamilton to get my other three in. It had started raining pretty good, but I went ahead and ran and just has I was the farthest point away from my car it thundered real loud then I saw the lighting, It scared the fire out of me and no jokes I did start praying please God don’t let me get struck by lightning. Now that it is over and I can laugh about it, what scared me even more was just a few days earlier me and guy at work had a talk about lighting strikes, he was talking about that it had struck his house a couple of times and of course the conversation turned to people being struck. So as I was running as hard as I could I couldn’t help but think about him telling everyone about our talk and now I had gotten killed by a lighting strike! I us to like to run in the rain, but it’s starting to get old now, sure does seems like it has been raining a lot lately. I didn’t get hardly any pictures of the race, because I didn’t have my picture takers with me. Doing this today not tomorrow.

No comments: