Friday, October 30, 2009

The Night before My Half Marathon

Well in just about 12 hours I will have started my first half marathon. Just 11 months ago I could hardly walk a mile without my legs killing me and it would have taken me probably over 25 minutes to do it. As I’m getting ready to do it, getting my clothes shoes, gu etc together I can’t help but think about what I have done this year. I have changed who I am both on the inside and the out. I am a different person. Even though this is just a step on the road to doing a marathon it is a milestone within itself. One that I’m as normally before a race nervous about. I feel confident that I will be able to do it based on the training I’ve put in and my longest run over 7 miles more than the 13 I’ll do tomorrow. My plan is to just enjoy the run it is suppose to be a pretty scenic one starting out over the Wilson dam in the first mile or so. I want to get the atmosphere of a long race and manage myself and not start to fast or get caught up in the rush and forget about who I am and what I have done. I want to remind myself of that tomorrow and even though it’s not the “big show (the marathon)” I hope to do some reflecting tomorrow as I run. I looked back on face book at some of my pictures from others races this past year and also some pictures of me and I looked at the physical change in me over the year. I had an eye opening experience tonight also. Jenny and Summer went and got them a desert after supper and I had them bring me one back I don’t know why I just did it was a sonic blast. I took a few bites and I was like I don’t want to eat this is not me anymore, so I put it down and I started typing this. It reminded me this is a lifelong journey that I’m on now. I have to stay focused and not go back to where I was just a short year ago. Well I’m going to go now and make sure I have all my stuff ready for in the morning and get some rest got to get up at 430 to head out to Florence. Doing this today not tomorrow.

No comments: