Monday, November 16, 2009

The rest of the week and 22 miles!












Well I’ll try and update what has went on since Thursday. Friday I did 6 miles, I forgot my watch so not exactly sure on my time, it was right at 1 hour. I enjoy those runs though where I’m not worried about hitting a certain pace, just run you know and enjoy it, so that’s what Friday was a nice easy enjoyable run. Saturday’s run was good. My legs felt heavy at the start, but on the last mile everything was clicking I felt good, I hit that steady pace and felt like I could run forever. I needed that because I was nervous about Sunday’s run of 22 miles as it was/is my longest to date. After my run Saturday and how good I felt my confidence was growing for Sunday. I went to Tupelo with Summer after my run on Saturday to get some GU; I had messed up and ran out. After we got back I went over to mom and dad’s to watch the football games with dad (Roll Tide!). I got home and had just laid down around 10 and got a call and had to go into work, I got home around midnight (almost had to stay later, but thank you to the deputy who carried the guy who got in the fight to the hospital for me). So 4:45 AM came pretty early yesterday. I was still nervous about the run. I had the route planned out in my mind so as I lay in the bed the night before I had tried to run it thorough my head and get myself mentally prepared for it. I got up and ate me a couple of pieces of toast and then got everything ready. Summer has written this saying (“So don't be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble and fall, because most of the time the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe you'll get everything you wish for. Maybe you'll get more than you ever could have imagined. Who knows where life will take you? The road is long and in the end, the journey is the destination." ) on the mirror in our bathroom. As I was getting ready to leave I read it and it reminded me that it’s not about just doing the 22 miles, but what I see along the way. The run started out OK. I don’t know why but the first few miles always seem sluggish and I have to get through all the little aches and pains. I had a few interesting events, at about mile 3 I had 3 dogs come out one looked like a chow, the other a bulldog and the last a Rottweiler. They never chased me, but just followed me for awhile I’ll have to admit I was scared and did do a little, well a lot of praying. I came back through where they were at around mile 5 and they were gone so that was good. I didn’t want to risk running in to them again so I altered my route so I wouldn’t have to come back through the area where they were at. At around mile 12 I started feeling tired and I thought man I wish this wouldn’t be so hard, but then I thought you know if it was easy it really wouldn’t have the value it does by accomplishing it if just anybody could do it. That kind of gave me some motivation. As I was running my altered route through my mind I decided to do the last mile or as close as I could make it to the last mile on the trail where I ran my first mile on this journey without stopping back in February. I was very tired when I got to it, but I did it and it was neat to bring up those memories of that first mile without stopping it gave me motivation to not stop. Then the last half mile was where I did my hill work. I tried to remember those days and how I pushed through and that is what I did to finish. I was very tight after it and was a little sore today, but not too bad. My time was 3:57:15 for a overall pace of 10:48. Well tomorrow I start the taper; I’m getting so close to doing this! Doing it today not tomorrow!

No comments: