Thursday, August 6, 2009

Spirit of a Marathon


Last night I watched the movie spirit of a marathon. First if you’re a runner or thinking about being a runner you have got to watch this it is great.
It really got me to thinking about doing a marathon the challenges and so forth. I can’t help it but ever since my knee has started getting stiff I can’t help but worry what if I get injured and can’t do this. There is a guy in the movie that it happened to and it literally scared me. That got me to thinking about the challenges that go along with preparing to run this. Of course there are the physical ones logging the miles when training. There is so much mental though, just getting up some mornings and going out to run. It is so easy to say I’ll just skip today I’m tired or I don’t feel good, but you know if you do it one day it is so easy to do it the next. Knowing your body, knowing the difference between discomfort and real pain, and being able to push through the discomfort that feels like real pain. I want this marathon most because I think it brings out what is inside me, the desire to do it, the reward of doing it because it is not easily obtained. I looked on line and the percent of the US population that ran a marathon in 2007 was around 1/10 of a percent. True not everyone has a desire to run one, but there are a lot that may think about, but never take the steps to do it. I have all ready taken a huge step by losing a 109 pounds and just getting able to even be able to run. That is why I want it, I want because it is in me to do it I just have to reach down deep enough and pull it out and do it……today not tomorrow.

No comments: